List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:June 22 1999 12:33pm
Subject:Re: 3.23
View as plain text
Adam Powell wrote:

> The load is a very long story... we are running like 3,000 queries a second
> and it has got to the point where a slight optimisation in socket code, or a
> slightly rewritten function will make a huge difference to us.  We are using
> SUN OS v5.6 on a Ultra Enterprise 450 with 1GB RAM, and we are completely
> overloading the thing...
>
> Adam

Have you though about splitting the load? I understand you run a banner
exchange. In this kind of situation, as far as I know, the data is quite
autonomous - that is each mememer of your exchange has his own id and
his data is kept and updated independently of everybody else. So here is
one way to approach the problem:

 - Have a central "hashing" server - it will check the member id and
forward it the server responsible for hanlding the request.
 - When a member wants to see his stats he should be directed to the
server where it is collected
 - The only problem is when the management wants to see the combined
totals - you would have to modify your currect code to combine the data.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
http://www.direct1.com/ (work)
Thread
Upgrading Mysql to 3.22.23bChris Unger22 Jun
  • Re: Upgrading Mysql to 3.22.23bSasha Pachev22 Jun
  • 3.23Adam Powell22 Jun
    • Re: 3.23Patrick Greenwell22 Jun
      • Re: 3.23Adam Powell22 Jun
        • RE: 3.23Douglas B. Jones22 Jun
      • Re: 3.23Sasha Pachev22 Jun
    • Re: 3.23Paul DuBois22 Jun
    • Re: 3.23Zeev Suraski22 Jun
    • Re: 3.23Benjamin Pflugmann23 Jun
  • Re: 3.23Sasha Pachev22 Jun
  • Re: 3.23Adam Powell22 Jun
    • Re: 3.23Ask Bjoern Hansen5 Jul
  • Re: 3.23Eric Peters22 Jun
  • Re: 3.23Eric Peters23 Jun
  • Upgrading Mysql to 3.22.23bMichael Widenius29 Jun
Re: 3.23(David Sklar)22 Jun