List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Adam Powell Date:June 22 1999 6:31pm
Subject:Re: 3.23
View as plain text
Yes I agree, it is a question of looking at the system, and finding the
problems and eliminating these bottlenecks... however we are severely short
staffed at the moment, and we are looking for somebody to spare some time to
telnet to the server, learn about our system and help reduce the load on the
server and hopefully make it scalable for the future...  I spoke to Monty
about this, but the support is kinda expensive... would anybody be
interested in this kind of thing, and what kind of prices are we looking at?

Basically, what we have is a banner rotation script written in PHP (v3.0.6
to be exact), this is connecting to the database server with information
about the banner, the site it is on, and retrieving a shortlist of banners
to be displayed and selecting one at random.  There are many factors about
banner availability, subject area and hits/clicks per day to take into
accounts... its a 250 line script and not easy to understand by any means..

However this script was running half a million times a day, and it was
fine... now its running 7 million times a day and causing no end of
problems!

If anybody is interested in helping, or knows about this kind of thing then
please get in touch!

Thanks,
Adam Powell,
CTO - Click Agents Corp.,