List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jonathan Date:June 21 1999 2:30pm
Subject:Access Denied? (Just installed from RPMs)
View as plain text
Hi,

I just installed MySQL from RPMs. When I try to connect to the MySQL server
and change the root password as the install message tells me it gives me an
error:

 [serva@bmama serva]$ mysqladmin -u root password passwd2000
 mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
 error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'
 [serva@bmama serva]$

Same error when I try as root (tried with and without quotes):

 [root@bmama serva]# mysqladmin password 'passwd2000'
 mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
 error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'
 [root@bmama serva]#

RPMs installed:

 MySQL-3.22.23b-1.i386.rpm
 MySQL-client-3.22.23b-1.i386.rpm
 MySQL-devel-3.22.23b-1.i386.rpm

Probably something very obvious I am missing here, but I can't find it :(
Checked the manuals, the readme files. Zip. Nada. Nothing. Any ideas?

Thnx!
Jonathan

--
UR Communications - Solutions for a wired world
Who, what & where @ http://www.ur.nl/

Thread
Access Denied? (Just installed from RPMs)Jonathan21 Jun
  • Access Denied? (Just installed from RPMs)Jani Tolonen22 Jun