List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:November 4 2000 4:58pm
Subject:Re: MySQL/PostgreSQL discrepancy
View as plain text
Hi!

This problem is documented in the MySQL manual under 'Known errors and
design deficiencies in MySQL' It will not be fixed in 3.23 (to not
break things for users that depends on the current behaveour) but we
will look into fixing this in 4.0

Regards,
Monty

Thimble> On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 12:51:42PM +0900, Ken Smith wrote:

>> I sent the following message to the PostgreSQL mailing list and got
>> three responses.  Each one points to the same point in the standard
>> which contradicts behavior I have seen when using MySQL.  Please let me
>> know if you disagree with their assertions.  I am not subscribed to this
>> list so please cc my personal email address in your correspondence.

Thimble> Yes, it looks like MySQL does the wrong thing here.  It's a bug
Thimble> that we'll need to fix.  I expect it won't be fixed in 3.23, but
Thimble> I could be wrong.

Thimble> Thanks for pointing it out!
Thimble> Tim

>> ---The original email BEGIN---
>> > THE TEST
>> > Run 'psql', then enter the following except for the select statement
>> > output.
>> >
>> > ---BEGIN---
>> > create table test (name char, a int, b int);
>> > insert into test values ('x', 1, 2);
>> > select * from test;
>> > update test set a=3,b=a where name='x';
>> > insert into test values ('y', 1, 2);
>> > update test set b=a,a=3 where name='y';
>> > select * from test;
>> >  name | a | b
>> > ------+---+---
>> >  x    | 3 | 1
>> >  y    | 3 | 1
>> > drop table test;
>> >
>> > I am used to MySQL so I expected the following from the select
>> > statement.
>> >  name | a | b
>> >  x    | 3 | 3
>> >  y    | 3 | 1
>> >
>> > Which behavior is the correct?
Thread
MYSQL TOPThe Urchin18 Mar
  • Re: MySQL/PostgreSQL discrepancyBenjamin Pflugmann4 Nov
  • Re: MySQL/PostgreSQL discrepancyMichael Widenius4 Nov
Re: MYSQL TOPThomas Wana18 Mar
Re: MYSQL TOPAdam Powell18 Mar