List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Robert Hazeltine Date:June 19 1999 8:26pm
Subject:Re: Storing HTML text
View as plain text
Hi Chris

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Chris Lott wrote:

> Since my previous query is not receiving a lot of notice yet, let me
> approach the issue from another direction.
>
> Is anyone generating web pages with a lot of HTML text from a MySQL db, and
> if so, how are you approaching storage of the text. My initial idea has been
> to use the longtext field to hold the stories with basic html formatting and
> then pull these and stuff the pages. The problem is figuring out how to get
> the pages into the db at the same time. Short of entering them one by one, I
> mean... I can't seem to get a working LOAD DATA file that has multiline
> fields...

I'm using MySQL to put our catalogue to the web.  I've stored the text as
text/plain because the copy is not very complex (no tables, etc).  This
also helped with data capture.

However, I had to make some small concession to 'typesetting' and
eventually settled on a subset of TeX tags (bullets, emphasis and various
dashes). This provides a great deal of flexibility and avoids problems
storing the data as media type other than plain text - changing
specifications, eg. The embedded TeX tags are converted dynamically.

As a result, it's possible to use a perl script to convert the data once
in the MySQL database to HTML, XML, etc. or anything else for that matter.

HTH

Rob...
Robert Hazeltine                      Member of UWSN Web Management Group
Project Officer (Web Development)     Phone:  +61 (2) 4736 0218
Central Administration                Email:  r.hazeltine@stripped
University of Western Sydney, Nepean  http://www.nepean.uws.edu.au/

Thread
Storing HTML textChris Lott19 Jun
  • Re: Storing HTML textPaul DuBois19 Jun
    • Re: Storing HTML textChris Lott19 Jun
      • Re: Storing HTML textPaul DuBois19 Jun
    • Re: Storing HTML textGarrick Staples19 Jun
    • Re: Storing HTML textJay J19 Jun
    • Re: Storing HTML textJay J19 Jun
  • Re: Storing HTML textRobert Hazeltine20 Jun
Re: Storing HTML textTomas Garcia Ferrari21 Jun
Re: Storing HTML textPinkeshP21 Jun
Re: Storing HTML textTomas Garcia Ferrari22 Jun