List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:June 19 1999 5:04pm
Subject:Re: Storing HTML text
View as plain text
At 8:03 AM -0800 6/19/1999, Chris Lott wrote:
>> Since you are (apparently) going to be using a script to retrieve your
>> data and generate the HTML pages, why don't you also use a script to
>> read your data and insert it in the first place?  There's no reason
>> you have to use LOAD DATA to put in your data.
>
>I'm going to use PHP to build the pages and retrieve the data. I can use PHP
>to insert the data... but I am looking for a way to convert a large amount
>of legacy data that has been, up to now, stored in Microsoft Access db's
>using a combination of fields including memo fields for the pages of text.
>My first thought was to dump them into some delimited format and import them
>via LOAD DATA, but this fails because of the variable length of the memo
>fields...
>
>I will look into using PHP to read the files and insert the data... or
>perhaps find a Perl guru to help do something if that is the direction I
>have to take.

Yes, for a problem like that, you might find a standalone program
written using Perl and DBI a better solution than PHP.  PHP can be
used for standalone programs, but it's really more suitable for a Web
environment.

Other readers of the list may have different views - I'd be interested
to hear other suggestions.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Storing HTML textChris Lott19 Jun