List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:June 19 1999 3:57pm
Subject:Re: Permissions
View as plain text
At 5:15 PM +0200 6/19/1999, Niklas Saers wrote:
>Ok, I guess I must have misunderstood something when using these permission
>tables, but heregoes:
>
>I'm creating a new database for the user  usera to use from anywhere. usera
>is not to have access to any other databases through this mysql server. So
>I create the database dbusera and write:
>
>./> mysql -u root -ppassword mysql
>
>> INSERT INTO db VALUES
>('%','dbusera','usera','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y');
>> INSERT INTO user VALUES
>('%','usera',PASSWORD("somepassword"),'N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N
>','N','N','N','N');
>
>After having reloaded the grandtables (and of course created the dbusera
>database, I try to log in
>
>./> mysql -u usera -psomepassword dbusera
>
>And I get: ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'stephenb@localhost' (Using
>password: YES)

Odd that it reports an error with user "stephenb" when you're trying to
connect as "usera".  I assume there's a typo there somewhere?

Check to see whether you have a user table entry with host "localhost"
and a blank user column.  If so, that entry's being matched before the
%/usera entry (matches match the most-specific hostname first, then the
user name).

If you find an entry like that, you can either wipe it out (which disables
anonymous access for local users (such as you see allowed below),
or add entries for your.host.name/usera to your grant tables.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
PermissionsNiklas Saers19 Jun