List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:June 19 1999 3:53pm
Subject:Re: Storing HTML text
View as plain text
At 7:42 AM -0800 6/19/1999, Chris Lott wrote:
>Since my previous query is not receiving a lot of notice yet, let me
>approach the issue from another direction.
>
>Is anyone generating web pages with a lot of HTML text from a MySQL db, and
>if so, how are you approaching storage of the text. My initial idea has been
>to use the longtext field to hold the stories with basic html formatting and
>then pull these and stuff the pages. The problem is figuring out how to get
>the pages into the db at the same time. Short of entering them one by one, I
>mean... I can't seem to get a working LOAD DATA file that has multiline
>fields...

Since you are (apparently) going to be using a script to retrieve your
data and generate the HTML pages, why don't you also use a script to
read your data and insert it in the first place?  There's no reason
you have to use LOAD DATA to put in your data.

Yes, you're correct about LOAD DATA and multiline capabilities - though
not so much because you can't have records that span multiple lines
(you can), but because your records have *different numbers of lines*
per record.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Storing HTML textChris Lott19 Jun