List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Van Date:June 19 1999 4:50am
Subject:Re: increasing child processes during startup?
View as plain text
Paul DuBois wrote:

> like

> >> There are no mysqld children.  mysqld is multi-threaded, but
> >> it's a single process.
> >
> >That's great and all, but you still didn't answer the question.
> >
> >AND you're wrong.  My mySQL runs as 4 processes.
> >
> >28682  /usr/bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql--pid-file=/var/lib/mys
> >28696  /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/ --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --skip
> >28698  /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/ --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --skip
> >28699  /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/ --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --skip
> >
> >So how do I turn 3 children into 4 children?
>
> Run a client program to make another connection.
>
> I'll bet you're running Linux.  ps on Linux shows threads as
> separate processes.
>
> mysqld is *one* process.  What would be the point of it being multiple
> processes?

Well, if this isn't an irritating point-finger thread:
Yes, there are 4 (maybe 3) mysqld processes, if you're doing it right,
but, the original question was with respect to Apache processes, which
have nothing to do w/ MySQL once built into the the httpd.
The answer would be:
leave mysqld to listen as it was designed;
Play with your httpd.conf file to get the results you need out of your
apache services.
I run 20 out of my start-up on a turtle 56K connection that never gets
hits, (maybe 250 hits a day), so, I can't speak to performance, but, I
always see the 20 threads hanging around listening, and, the 3 mysqld
processes are out there, too.

Don't fire up any more mysqld child processes is my point.  Apache knows
they're there.

Van

Linux rocks!!!   www.dedserius.com
increasing child processes during startup?Che Tran19 Jun
  • Re: increasing child processes during startup?Sasha Pachev19 Jun
    • Re: increasing child processes during startup?Chip19 Jun
      • Re: increasing child processes during startup?Paul DuBois19 Jun
        • Re: increasing child processes during startup?Chip19 Jun
          • Re: increasing child processes during startup?Paul DuBois19 Jun
            • Re: increasing child processes during startup?Chip19 Jun
          • Re: increasing child processes during startup?Darrell Shifflett19 Jun
        • Re: increasing child processes during startup?Van19 Jun
          • Re: increasing child processes during startup?Paul DuBois19 Jun