List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:June 17 1999 6:22pm
Subject:Re: Problem with mysqldump
View as plain text
At 3:50 PM -0500 6/9/99, Ying Zhang wrote:
>Not sure if this is a bug in mysqldump or not.  I'm using MySQL
>3.22.23b, I ran mysqldump against a 400MB database and watched as it
>tried to read the whole thing into RAM, then into swap, and then grind
>my system to a near stop:
>
>$ mysqldump -u dbuser -p bigdb > bigdb.sql
>
>It took awhile before I was able to break out of it.  It was okay when I
>used the --quick option, but I still don't think it should have done
>that.

That's a matter of how your system handles virtual memory.  I suspect
that any process run on your system that tries to read in 400MB of
stuff into data structures will exhibit similar behavior.  It's not
anything special about MySQL.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Problem with mysqldumpYing Zhang10 Jun