List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Hironori Sato Date:March 18 1999 11:56pm
Subject:Re: fastCPU vs moreRAM
View as plain text
At 16:51 99/03/18 -0600, Scott Moseman wrote:
[snip]
> My question is for the intial build, should we focus more on faster CPU's
> or on more RAM?  I'm curious as to which would be a better performer.  I
> know it's good to have plenty of both *grin* but we (of course) have a
> limited budget initially and would like to know which route is better to
> start up with.

My personal experience was that I saw some improvement having faster disk
access.  I have Advansys UW scsi card, and the benchmark showed significant
improvement when I turned the UW option on.

Initially, I had some problem with SCSI driver, so I knocked the UW option
off then ran the benchmark.  After confirming the proper operation of UW
mode, I ran the benchmark again and saw the improvement (about 10%
overall).  So, if price justify your needs for speed, faster drive &
controller card is one factor that you might want to consider.

Hiro

//--- Hironori Sato --------------------------------------- KB9HAD ---
//  satoh@stripped                  http://staff.jpnnet.com/satoh/
//  Japanese Network                  http://www.jpnnet.com/
Thread
fastCPU vs moreRAMScott Moseman18 Mar
  • Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMWade Maxfield18 Mar
  • Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMSasha Pachev19 Mar
  • Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMHironori Sato19 Mar
Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMDerick H Siddoway19 Mar
Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMDerick H Siddoway19 Mar
Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMKarl Pielorz19 Mar
Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMWade Maxfield19 Mar
  • Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMAdrian Phillips19 Mar