List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Vivek Khera Date:October 12 2000 2:37pm
Subject:Re: Password and Boolean data type
View as plain text

JB> Pretty new to MySQL and DBs in general, I need to use a boolean data type
JB> (has 2 possiable values true or false || 0 and 1), but didn't see any ways
JB> to do this, I though about just using a CHAR(1), but was wondering if there
JB> was a better way to do this that might save some memory.

Well, in a normal program in most languages you'd use an enumerated
type to represent your two values.  Guess what... mysql has them as

JB> Also is there a "Password" data type that has the string value
JB> encrypted, or is it up to the user to encrypt it before it is
JB> insert into the database?

Mysql has encrypting functions, but most likely you'd want to encrypt
your data before sending it down the wire to the database server.

Internet: khera@stripped       Rockville, MD       +1-301-545-6996
GPG & MIME spoken here
Password and Boolean data typeJack Barnett12 Oct
  • SV: Password and Boolean data typeMicke Bjork Coolbase12 Oct
  • Re: Password and Boolean data typeVivek Khera12 Oct
    • RE: Password and Boolean data typeCarsten H. Pedersen12 Oct
  • Re: SV: Password and Boolean data typeStephen Vance12 Oct