List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:June 16 1999 10:29am
Subject:Re: Newbie: Access Denied trouble
View as plain text
edb wrote:

> NO)'

> > > Yes... and not just once!

> > > I tried.  This is another case in point where I get the error...
> > > mysqladmin -u root password 'newpassword'
> >
> > Let's do this:
> >
> > killall mysqld
> >
> > /path/to/safe_mysqld --skip-grant
> > mysql mysql
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > update user set password = password('BigSecret') where user = 'root';
> > exit
> >
> > mysqladmin shutdown
> > /path/to/mysql.server start
> >
> > Now you should be able to connect as root with the password of BigSecret
>
> Ugghhh.  Thanks for the suggestion, but I get stopped at the second line
> (see the ^'s) with the same error message:
>         error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'
>
> --EdB <edb@stripped>
> http://www.geocities.com/Area51/3339/

Can you repeat what I have suggested and just copy and paste everything
you type along with all the responses from the shell.

What I have suggested will not work if you type it exactly like I did
without making the changes appropriate for your system and especially if
you ingore error messages and continue typing away. For example,
/path/to MUST be replaced with the actual path  where the program is
installed. If you get an error such as "command not found" you need to
stop and figure out why it happened before proceeding.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleSasha Pachev15 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleedb15 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleSasha Pachev15 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleedb16 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleNazar16 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleedb16 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleRommel Vicente Torres T.16 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleSasha Pachev16 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleedb17 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleSasha Pachev17 Jun