List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Edberg Date:October 10 2000 1:01am
Subject:Re: telnet
View as plain text
At 7:52 PM -0500 10/9/00, Luis Eduardo Córdova wrote:
>Hello, I have a little problem when I try to connect to Mysql Server
>through 3306 port, the message is "bad handshake", what can i do to fix up
>this  problem.
>
>OS: Red Hat Linux 6.2
>Mysql Version 3.22.32

This is to be expected; the MySQL port (3306 by default) is used by
the mysql client programs to communicate with a mysql server. If
you're using telnet, just connect to your machine and run the 'mysql'
command. It is THIS program that will talk to the server, either via
a socket or network connection. MySQL uses its own protocol for
communications through the port, so we mere humans will just see the
'Bad handshake' message and some gibberish.

-steve

+--- "They've got a cherry pie there, that'll kill ya" ------------------+
| Steve Edberg                           University of California, Davis |
| sbedberg@stripped                               Computer Consultant |
| http://aesric.ucdavis.edu/                  http://pgfsun.ucdavis.edu/ |
+-------------------------------------- FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper ---+
Thread