List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Alistair MacDonald Date:March 18 1999 10:28pm
Subject:Re: Need to understand process
View as plain text

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Bill Koob wrote:
> 1. Where can I buy a book that gives a good overview
>    of the operation and coding of mysql

You can't - there isn't one.

Yes - the online manual (http://www.tcx.se/)

>  3. What kind on manual do you get if you buy the WinNT version?

The onlive one ? (plus a copy within the distribution ...) I don't think
you get hard copy.

>  4. Can you buy a manual specifically for the this trial version?

The online version ...

>  5. If there is a manual with it discuss such issues at ACCESS sql
>     compatibility with MYSQL?

Hmm - ACCESS SQL is a superset. Feed Access valid SQL and it will work.
Feed MySQL valid SQL and it will work. Feed MySQL ACCESS sql and it MIGHT
work. (The ODBC driver does some translations but it doesn't always work)

Access ODBC issues are mentioned in (guess what) the Online Manual ...

>  6. Can anyone give me an idea of how ACCESS
>     would work as a front end for MYSQL
>     with tables of 130 byte records with a
>     total file size  in the range of 3.5 gig
Not sure about the file size ...

>     on a 400 pentium II, Both SCSI UW and IDE
>     drives? Tables would have two indexes of 10
>     bytes each per index with the variability
>     being in the 1000 range per index. Two users
>     at most, Host and client.

Probably OK. Some operations may feel slower than Access because Access
does strange things with its data.

>  7. Any experience with NTFS compressed drives and MYSQL?
Yuck! Compressed drives are likely to cause significant overhead for a
database.

>  8. Is there any problem with running on the host and the
>     client at the same time.

??? That doesn't make sense. What running on the host & the client. A
query from each ? It depends upon the query, but it should work OK.

Alistair

Thread
Need to understand processBill Koob16 Mar
  • Re: Need to understand processAlistair MacDonald18 Mar
Re: Need to understand processJose de Leon19 Mar
  • Re: Need to understand processPaul DuBois19 Mar
Re: Need to understand processEd Carp19 Mar
  • Re: Need to understand processMichael Widenius19 Mar
    • Re: Need to understand processWalter Korman1 Apr
Re: Need to understand processDerick H Siddoway19 Mar