List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:June 15 1999 5:25am
Subject:Re: Newbie: Access Denied trouble
View as plain text
edb wrote:

> Sasha Pachev wrote:
> >
> > EdB wrote:

> > > i DID read the manual...
> > >
> > > MySQL starts (x86-Linux 2.0.35), but I cannot shut it down, change
> > > password, or any other mysqladmin functions outside of version and
> > > variables.
> > >
> > > After investigating the manuals, I *think* my problem is...
> > >
> > > localhost is a synonym for your local hostname, and is also the default
> > > host to which clients
> > > try to connect if you specify no host explicitly. However, connections
> > > to localhost do not
> > > work if you are running on a system that uses MIT-pthreads (localhost
> > > connections are made using Unix sockets, which are not supported by
> > > MIT-pthreads). To avoid this problem on such systems, you should use the
> > > --host option to name the server host explicitly. This will make a
> > > TCP/IP connection to the mysqld server. In this case, you must have your
> > > real hostname in user table entries on the server host. (This is true
> > > even if you are running a client program on the same host as the
> > > server.)
> > >
> > > Ummm... I have no idea what 'name the server host explicitly' means, or
> > > how to place my 'real hostname in user table entries on the server
> > > host'.
> > >
> > > Is is OK to ask for Help now?
> > >
> > > --EdB  <edb@stripped>
> > > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/3339
> >
> > Can you post the exact text of the error message you are getting?
> >

> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'
>
> Ciao for now,
>
> --EdB  <edb@stripped>
> http://www.geocities.com/Area51/3339/

Did you run mysql_install_db ?
Did you set the root password?

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleSasha Pachev15 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleedb15 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleSasha Pachev15 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleedb16 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleNazar16 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleedb16 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleRommel Vicente Torres T.16 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleSasha Pachev16 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleedb17 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleSasha Pachev17 Jun