List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:June 14 1999 3:21pm
Subject:Re: Newbie: Access Denied trouble
View as plain text
EdB wrote:

> Subject: Newbie: Access Denied trouble
> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:16:15 -0700
> From: EdB <edb@stripped>
> To: MySQL <mysql@stripped>
>
> i DID read the manual...
>
> MySQL starts (x86-Linux 2.0.35), but I cannot shut it down, change
> password, or any other mysqladmin functions outside of version and
> variables.
>
> After investigating the manuals, I *think* my problem is...
>
> localhost is a synonym for your local hostname, and is also the default
> host to which clients
> try to connect if you specify no host explicitly. However, connections
> to localhost do not
> work if you are running on a system that uses MIT-pthreads (localhost
> connections are made using Unix sockets, which are not supported by
> MIT-pthreads). To avoid this problem on such systems, you should use the
> --host option to name the server host explicitly. This will make a
> TCP/IP connection to the mysqld server. In this case, you must have your
> real hostname in user table entries on the server host. (This is true
> even if you are running a client program on the same host as the
> server.)
>
> Ummm... I have no idea what 'name the server host explicitly' means, or
> how to place my 'real hostname in user table entries on the server
> host'.
>
> Is is OK to ask for Help now?
>
> --EdB  <edb@stripped>
> http://www.geocities.com/Area51/3339
>
>    *** 'A balanced diet' = a cookie in each hand

Can you post the exact text of the error message you are getting?

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleSasha Pachev15 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleedb15 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleSasha Pachev15 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleedb16 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleNazar16 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleedb16 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleRommel Vicente Torres T.16 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleSasha Pachev16 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleedb17 Jun
  • Re: Newbie: Access Denied troubleSasha Pachev17 Jun