List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Douglas Brantz Date:September 25 2000 12:46pm
Subject:ODBC connection with ACCESS and MYSQL
View as plain text
Quick question about ODBC and ACCESS.  I have linked a database so that
a user may administer it from a PC using
ODBC drivers with ACCESS.  Two interesting problems:  First, the Comment
field in Mysql is defined as BLOB which I got in the habit of using for
all text areas - maybe because of case sensitive matches?  But this
field shows up as OLE Object and can't be seen correctly in ACCESS.  If
I just import the tables I can change the field to Memo with the design
tool.  But being linked to the table doesn't allow this.  Should I go in
and alter the field and change it to text or medium text?  what would be
the correct definition and would this solve the problem?  Second, the
user has to create a new link each time they wish to go in and access
the database?  It doesn't seem to hold the settings for connecting to
the database - we even check the remember password box?  This is
Access97 and windows98.  Its not that big of a deal just curious.

Thanks

Douglas

--

Douglas Brantz
Computer Consultant

828-262-6312 FAX
828-262-6549 OFFICE
brantzdr@stripped

Thread
ODBC connection with ACCESS and MYSQLDouglas Brantz25 Sep
  • Re: ODBC connection with ACCESS and MYSQLTimothy Houck25 Sep
    • Re: ODBC connection with ACCESS and MYSQLDouglas Brantz25 Sep
      • Re: ODBC connection with ACCESS and MYSQLTimothy Houck25 Sep