List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Douglas Brantz Date:September 22 2000 12:54pm
Subject:Mysql vs Filemaker Pro & Oracle
View as plain text
Hello,

I've been working with Mysql for the past two years and really love it.
I find it fast, secure and easy to use.  I've been writting cgi-perl
scripts for the same amount of time and have created a few good projects
that interface over the web.

My question is this.  Could you please send me some data discribing how
Mysql matches up to FileMakerPro and Oracle.
I am not trying to say that one is better then another.  I would like to
see it being support more on the campus I work at and was told by the
computer center that Mysql projects couldn't be supported because Mysql
can't handle large data sets, it is slow and It is not a try database?
I don't think any of this is true and I would like to educate myself as
well as get some facts to educate others about Mysql.
We have both, Filemaker Pro and Oracle, available on campus.  Guess I am
trying to light a fire for adding Mysql to this list.

My background is in Art - Painting and Printmaking with a degree from
the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
I find working with a Linux server, Apache, Cgi-Perl scripts and
creating Mysql databases to be like creating a painting or a print.
The creativity in bringing a new project to life is very rewarding.  Of
course I'm still learning how to care for all these projects after their

creation.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Douglas

--

Douglas Brantz
Computer Consultant

828-262-6312 FAX
828-262-6549 OFFICE
brantzdr@stripped

Thread
Mysql vs Filemaker Pro & OracleDouglas Brantz22 Sep
  • Re: Mysql vs Filemaker Pro & OracleTimothy Houck22 Sep