List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:jonathan michaels Date:June 12 1999 1:08pm
Subject:Re: Please can anybody help me ...
View as plain text
On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 03:26:43PM +0200, Christian Mack wrote:
> Ed Williams wrote:
> >
> > I am developing a search engine that searches through a table of documents
> > matching keywords in the title, this is straitforward ;) but i also need to
> search through
> > a second database which has keywords matching a subject code like so

a much simpler and far more reliable way would be to set up a
wais database, or to use a tool like isearch.

this is how we finally got around similar problems .. but then
again i'm old enough to remember these old ways of doing things
and so don't have to reinvent the wheel as constantly as these
young buck seem to have to do ... er, sort of a grin, ok.

please note for purely text/document searches like this, a wais
database is far far more efficeint than any mysql conconction
will ever be. mysql is not designed to, nore does it have the
facilities to search through freeform document trees like this.

i'm not picking on mysql .. though postgresql is a little
better suited, but not by much. no database engine optimised
fro pure 'data' can cope witht he work involved in handling a
document tree .. not unless you are using db2 on an ibm 9000
seris mainframe .. but then thats not what your average
hobbiest datamanager in thier repetoire .. yes ?

well thats my thrupence worth.

regards

jonathan

Jonathan Michaels
PO Box 144, Rosebery, NSW 1445 Australia

Thread
Please can anybody help me ...Ed Williams11 Jun
  • Re: Please can anybody help me ...Christian Mack11 Jun
    • Re: Please can anybody help me ...jonathan michaels12 Jun
  • Compiling mysql under HPUX 11Clay Olbon11 Jun
Re: Please can anybody help me ...Ruprecht Helms11 Jun
Re: Compiling mysql under HPUX 11Ralf Kraudelt11 Jun