List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 15 2000 6:29pm
Subject:Re: Problem with RAND()
View as plain text
At 1:48 PM -0400 09-15-2000, Clint Gilders wrote:
>Paul DuBois wrote:
>
>>  If your MySQL version is older than 3.23.3, that won't work.  See
>>  page 188 of the book for a workaround for older versions.
>>
>>  --
>>  Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
>
>Thanks
>	I actually read that but figured since I had just built my servers and
>compiled MySQL from source that I would have the most recent version.
>I guess in a way I do (3.22.27 - 3.22.32).  I must say I find it strange
>that the book details the use of a BETA release of the software.

You have the most recent version of the 3.22 series, not the most recent
release overall.

re: meaning of "beta", see:

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/commented/manual.php?section=Which_version

The MySQL developers are relatively conservative in their naming.

>	Enough of that.  The example on Page 188 of your (Paul's) book confuses
>me a bit.  I can't seem to get the proper syntax for what I'm trying to
>do.
>
>	Could you please explain how to simply return all the rows and columns
>from a table in random order (pre 3.23.3)?

Following the example in the book, you'd use something like this:

SELECT *, age+0*RAND() AS rand_col FROM ... ORDER BY rand_col

>	Also.... Can 'LIMIT' statements be used with this old method?

I believe so.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread