List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Oliver Artelt Date:June 11 1999 7:09pm
Subject:Re: more efficient queries
View as plain text
On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Sasha Pachev wrote:

> SELECT * FROM student WHERE name >= 'John ' AND name <= 'Johnz'
>
> You get the idea, we append the first (in the alphanum sense) character
> in the charset that could possibly occur in the result, append it, and
> do >= and then take the last and do the same except now <=.

And why not left(name, <size of searchword>) =searchword ?

Oliver Artelt                              Jordanstr.7, 39112 Magdeburg
mailto:oli@stripped             Tel: 0391-6112827 Fax: 0391-604243
http://www.transnet.de                  ISP: Wir schaffen Verbindungen!
http://www.magdeburg-online.de       Die Magdeburger Online-Information
more efficient queriespete collins11 Jun
  • Re: more efficient queriesSasha Pachev11 Jun
    • Re: more efficient queriesOliver Artelt11 Jun
  • more efficient queriesMichael Widenius11 Jun
  • Re: more efficient queriespete collins11 Jun
  • Re: more efficient queriespete collins11 Jun
    • Re: more efficient queriesBenjamin Pflugmann12 Jun
  • Re: more efficient queriespete collins14 Jun