List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:June 11 1999 4:50pm
Subject:Re: Simple thing that i should probably know ...
View as plain text
Jim Faucette wrote:

> Ed Williams wrote:
> >
> > I have two identical tables with one column
> > all i want to do is merge them into one big table.
> > and get rid of the duplicates at the same time...
> > any ideas??
> > oh yeah the column names are identical in both tables but this can be changed.
> >

> CREATE table3 col_name same_def_as_others NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY;
> INSERT INTO table3 SELECT DISTINCT col_name FROM table1;
> INSERT INTO table3 SELECT DISTINCT col_name FROM table2;
>
>    jim...

Nope :)
Because table1 could contain a row identical to one in table2 use this:
CREATE table3 col_name same_def_as_others NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY;
INSERT INTO table3 SELECT DISTINCT col_name FROM table1;
REPLACE INTO table3 SELECT col_name FROM table2;

Tschau
Christian

Thread
Simple thing that i should probably know ...Ed Williams11 Jun
  • Re: Simple thing that i should probably know ...Jim Faucette11 Jun
  • Re: Simple thing that i should probably know ...Christian Mack11 Jun
  • Re: Simple thing that i should probably know ...Jim Faucette11 Jun
  • Re: Simple thing that i should probably know ...Christian Mack11 Jun
  • Re: Simple thing that i should probably know ...Vora Jinesh Udaykumar12 Jun
    • keeping the whole database in the main memory...Vora Jinesh Udaykumar12 Jun
RE: Simple thing that i should probably know ...Scott Cole12 Jun
  • Re: Simple thing that i should probably know ...Benjamin Pflugmann12 Jun