List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Douglas Brantz Date:September 12 2000 6:09pm
Subject:Re: mysqldump
View as plain text
Good question:

I do the following and wonder if I should or shouldn't do it this way?

To backup the database I mysqldump databasename >
/dir_name/dir_name/dir_name/databasename.dump -u username -p

Then to input the info on another computer running mysql or back into a database I

create the database with  mysqladmin create databasename

Then I use      cat databasename.dump | mysql databasename

Is this correct?

Thanks,

Douglas

Steve Ruby wrote:

> Paul Glace wrote:
> >
> > I have a .sql file that I created by dumping the contains of a mySQL
> > database using mysqldump.  Can I now populate a new database from the .sql
> > file?
>
> http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/commented/manual.php?section=mysqldump

Douglas Brantz
Computer Consultant