List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:June 10 1999 6:27pm
Subject:Re: Question about binary field types
View as plain text
James Tyson wrote:

> I know the subject sounds wierd, but I wanted to know what would break if
> I were to try and insert some gzipped data into a table? or perhaps a GIF
> or JPEG?
>
> My thought was that I could just make sure I escape any special
> characters, and it should all work fine - however, I dont want to try it
> on our production database until I have been assured that it wont break
> anything.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> James Tyson         --          System Administrator - The Internet Group.

Hi James

As long as your binary data pieces are less than 1MBytes, you will just do fine.
If it is larger, you have to increase MAX_ALLOWED_PACKET on the server for inserting and
on the client for retrieving.

Tschau
Christian

Thread
Question about binary field typesJames Tyson10 Jun
  • Re: Question about binary field typesSasha Pachev10 Jun
  • Re: Question about binary field typesChristian Mack10 Jun