List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brian Bray Date:March 11 1999 9:21pm
Subject:Splitting query results among machines?
View as plain text

I am working on upgrading a program for a website I operate
(www.BookmarkTracker.com) which goes through a table of URL's and checks
each site for updates.  My program is currently multi-threaded so it can
check many websites simultaniously however I'm fast outgrowing even the
multi-threaded model and I need to start using multiple machines to do the
work.

My question is how do I run a query and then reliably split the results of
the query among multiple machines.  Say for example I do a SELECT * FROM
Bookmarks.  I want machine 1 to handle the first 1/3 of the
resulting rows, machine 2 the 2nd 1/3 and so on.

Any good Idea's?

Thanks in advance,

__Brian Bray______________________________________
  - Webmaster : http://www.BookmarkTracker.com -
  - Email     : webmaster@stripped   -

Thread
sort of defragmentation?Mike Otto11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?kalle volkov11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?Christian Mack11 Mar
    • Re: sort of defragmentation?Charles Kirby11 Mar
      • Re: sort of defragmentation?Sasha Pachev11 Mar
        • Re: sort of defragmentation?Charles Kirby11 Mar
          • Re: sort of defragmentation?Sasha Pachev11 Mar
            • Re: sort of defragmentation?Charles Kirby11 Mar
              • Splitting query results among machines?Brian Bray11 Mar
                • RE: Splitting query results among machines?Brett Error11 Mar
  • SIGSEV using Mysql++Sander Pilon26 Aug
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?Sasha Pachev11 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?Christian Mack12 Mar
Re: Splitting query results among machines?Fred Lindberg11 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp12 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Christian Mack13 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp13 Mar