List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:March 18 1999 3:55pm
Subject:Storing large files in the database
View as plain text
> One point though, it stores the actual email bodies in files NOT in the
database!
> I have a set of modified sources which change this behaviour (it's a first
pass for a
> project that did not go any further, but it does work) if you want them
(need to
> check licensing issues first).

Can someone explain to me why this will not *always* be slower than storing
the actual message in the database?  Most filesystems are not optimized for
accessing large numbers of files in a directory, but databases are.  This
isn't noticeable until you get a few hundred files in one directory, then it
gets painful.  Why go through all sorts of pain writing code to deal with it
when it's just as easy to stick the actual message in the database?

Thread
Storing large files in the databaseEd Carp18 Mar
Re: Storing large files in the databaseFred Lindberg18 Mar
  • Re: Storing large files in the databaseColin McKinnon19 Mar