List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Vivek Khera Date:March 18 1999 3:28pm
Subject:Re: pacl_isam
View as plain text

MP> I don't think I understand what that is.
MP> Will it speed up disk seeks in a 9Mil rows table and will allow for faster
MP> searches?

If your database is static -- that is, it has no inserts or updates,
you can run pack_isam on the *.ISD files and it will compress the data
quite well.  This reduces the amount of disk seeks and might also
reduce the *.ISM file size.  To get maximal benefit, you really need
to have good indexes defined for your queries.

MP> Where can I get and what does it actually do?

You get it when you buy extended support (or apparently also if you
buy lots of licenses.)  It is a bonus program, binary only
distribution.

It compresses your tables (making them read-only.)

								v.

Internet: khera@stripped       Rockville, MD       +1-301-545-6996
PGP & MIME spoken here            http://www.kciLink.com/home/khera/
Thread