List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John "Chris" Wren Date:March 11 1999 9:19pm
Subject:Database Synchronization Methods?
View as plain text
(This is a repost.  Considering all the traffic and expertise around
here, I'm surprised no one commented on it (even to tell me I'm in
left field), so I'll try it again).

	I'm a relative novice to SQL programming in general, and
certain database concepts, so here goes.

	 I've got an Access database at home that goes out to the web,
retrieves a bunch of prices, and updates the price fields in the
table.

	I've got a set of tables under mySQL on my ISPs serve (I call
this the 'remote database', below).  I want to synchronize this
database from the database at home.  I've tried exporting it, but
Access (or the mySQL ODBC) won't let you export *over* an existing
database.

	For now what I'm doing is selecting all the records in the
home database that aren't in the remote database and inserting them.
I then select all the records that are different in the databases (to
account for records that were changed, but not added), and replace
those into the remote database.  I then look for all the records in
the remote database that aren't in the home database, and delete them.

	Obviously there *has* to be a cleaner and more efficient
method than what I'm doing.

	What database terminology am I looking for when I do this?
Access calls it 'replication', but as near as I can tell, Access only
supports replication within Access databases (and they want you to use
the stupid 'Briefcase' mechanism).

-- John Wren

---
John "Chris" Wren, KD4DTS
e-mail:   jcwren@stripped / jcwren@stripped
homepage: www.jcwren.com / www.kd4dts.com

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)
(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to
such equipment, punishable by action to recover actual monetary
loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for EACH violation.
Thread
Database Synchronization Methods?(John "Chris" Wren)11 Mar
Re: Database Synchronization Methods?Fred Lindberg11 Mar
  • Re: Database Synchronization Methods?(John "Chris" Wren)11 Mar
Re: Database Synchronization Methods?Fred Lindberg11 Mar
  • Re: Database Synchronization Methods?Chris12 Mar
    • Re: Database Synchronization Methods?Christian Mack13 Mar