List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:August 25 2000 8:37pm
Subject:Re: generating a table of sequenced records without a index
View as plain text
In the last episode (Aug 25), ctest@stripped said:
> > You could also create a linked-list type setup:
> >
> > part_number   next_part   name
> > ------------------------------
> > 1             2           Head
> > 2             3           Neck
> > 3             NULL        Tail
> >
> > then either pull all the records into your app and walk the list,
> > or do individual queries each time you need the next part in the
> > chain.  Either way, you won't be able to get at your preferred
> > result in one query.  It is possible under Oracle, though, where
> > you could use the START WITH ... CONNECT BY syntax to handle the
> > link lookup.
>
> interesting.  is that a "Oracle specific extension"?  or is that
> something that could be found in other database systems?

I'm sure it's an Oracle extension, since the ANSI/FIPS SQL standards
are pretty basic.  I'd be surprised if the other major database systems
didn't have something similar though.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
    • Re: generating a table of sequenced records without a indexctest25 Aug
      • Re: generating a table of sequenced records without a indexDan Nelson25 Aug
  • Re: generating a table of sequenced records without a indexKevin D25 Aug
RE: generating a table of sequenced records without a indexChris Mulcahy25 Aug
  • Re: generating a table of sequenced records without a indexctest25 Aug