List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Randy Norwood Date:August 25 2000 12:40am
Subject:Re: Zip code database
View as plain text
Ann Cantelow wrote:

> I wonder too, if there are other ways than using zip code coordinates to
> calculate distances.

About the only way I can think of is to use geographic coordinates
(e.g., latitude/longitude or UTM). MapBlast and some other online
mapping services can include lat/long in their results.

Then, you need to do the calculation to find the distance between the
two points. This is described in many textbooks and online resources in
cartography. I'm working on a Perl-MySQL application to match potential
carpoolers based on the distance to other carpoolers or vanpool stops.
I'm using a Perl module called Math::Trig which will do the calculation
if you feed it the coordinates of the two points.

--
-------------------------
Randy Norwood
rnorwood@stripped
Austin, Texas USA
Thread
Performance on different platformsClaus Bo Hansen21 Aug
  • Re: Performance on different platformsTonu Samuel21 Aug
  • Re: Performance on different platformsJeremy D. Zawodny21 Aug
  • Re: Performance on different platformsTonu Samuel21 Aug
  • Re: Performance on different platformsDavid Hodgkinson22 Aug
  • Re: Performance on different platformsTonu Samuel22 Aug
  • Re: Performance on different platformsDavid Hodgkinson22 Aug
  • Zip code databaseThomas Clark24 Aug
    • Re: Zip code databaseAnn Cantelow25 Aug
      • Re: Zip code databaseRandy Norwood25 Aug
        • Re: Zip code databaseDavid VanHorn25 Aug
      • Re: Zip code database[not mysql]Andrew Kersting25 Aug
  • Re: Zip code databaseSteve Ruby24 Aug
    • Re: Zip code databaseDavid VanHorn24 Aug
  • Re: Zip code databaseNicole Lallande24 Aug
  • Re: Zip code database THE URLSteve Ruby24 Aug
  • Re: Zip code databaseSteve Ruby24 Aug
  • Re: Zip code databaseThomas Clark24 Aug