List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:March 18 1999 1:03pm
Subject:-O1 fix for Solaris still necessary for latest MySQL with
egcs-1.1.2?
View as plain text
>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Maryniak <e.maryniak@stripped> writes:

Eric> When compiling MySQL with egcs (1.1.1) on Sun-Sparc/Solaris, the
Eric> docu says ("4.11 System specific notes - 4.11.1 Solaris notes") on
Eric> p. 44 to use the -O1 flag because higher levels of optimization
Eric> produce wrong code.
Eric> (by the way: i noticed the configure script still generates Makefiles
Eric> that have "-O6" (hard coded it seems) in it, but _fortunately_ it is
Eric> followed by "-O1" and egcs favours the last optim. level---hmm, does not
Eric> really make you feel safe?).

But it's safe...

Eric> Now egcs 1.1.2 is out (http://egcs.cygnus.com/) and from the changes
Eric> it seems they're mostly bug fixes (a/o in the code generation).
Eric> My question: does the new egcs still produce wrong code with -O6 on
Eric> Solaris or is it safe now to use -06.

I am test compiling MySQL 3.22.20 with egcs 1.1.2 on Sparc just now...
I will update the MySQL manual with my findings shortly.

Eric> And a request: it would be very nice if configure just figures out it is
Eric> running on a Solaris (`uname`) and generates the proper CC, CXX and
Eric> CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS, so you can just say: ./configure && make && make
> install

Normally

./configure

should do this

The flags described in the MySQL is if you want an 'optimal' MySQL server...

Regards,
Monty
Thread
-O1 fix for Solaris still necessary for latest MySQL withegcs-1.1.2?Eric Maryniak18 Mar
  • -O1 fix for Solaris still necessary for latest MySQL withegcs-1.1.2?Michael Widenius18 Mar
  • Re: MyODBC Install problemsJuergen Hoffmann27 Jul