List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Douglas Brantz Date:August 21 2000 1:51pm
Subject:Backups of Mysql
View as plain text
Over the weekend I requested a file that could backup databases of mysql
to be run from Cron everynight and I thank everyone for responding and I
will put those scripts to use very quickly.

At the same time, over the weekend,  I had someone hack into my Linux
Mandrake server, they installed ssh and ran tons of processes.  I
quickly took the server off line made a backup of the drive and
re-installed Mandrake 7.0 with all security patches I could find.  Then
I reinstalled Mysql and replaced my httpd and data directories from the
backup.  Everything seems to be running fine.

My question is this.  Is it better to make a backup using mysqldump or
should I make a backup of the data directory?
Will I damage databases by backing up the data directory if mysql is
running and is this why its better to use mysqldump?
I guess mysqldump locks the tables as it is being dumped and unlocks
them again so you don't have to stop the server?

Thanks,

Douglas

--

Douglas Brantz
Computer Consultant

828-262-6312 FAX
828-262-6549 OFFICE
brantzdr@stripped

Thread
Backups of MysqlDouglas Brantz21 Aug
  • Re: Backups of MysqlTonu Samuel21 Aug
  • Re: Backups of MysqlJan Dvorak21 Aug
  • Re: Backups of MysqlClaude Cormier21 Aug