List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:June 8 1999 7:28pm
Subject:Re: Data in Multiple languages
View as plain text
Robert Hazeltine wrote:

> Hi
>
> I notice that the Manual refers to setting up MySQL with one language,
> mainly European and (western European).
>
> Is there a pointer to storing data in Asian languages in MySQL (as
> distinct from error messages), specifically Chinese and has anyone tried
> storing, say, English and Chinese in the one database.  Or would it be
> better to run two databases?  The preference would be one database running
> on Solaris 2.6 (there's not a lot of the second language).
>
> Any comments?
>

> Rob...

Hi Rob

Running mysql with a different language is mainly changing the sorting order of CHAR's,
VARCHAR's and TEXT's.
So each LIKE expression can have different results in different languages.

If you need this language specific sorting, you have to run two different mysqls.
If you only want to store some text columns in different languages, but search only after
other fields, you don't need this.

Tschau
Christian

Thread
Data in Multiple languagesRobert Hazeltine8 Jun
  • Re: Data in Multiple languagesChristian Mack8 Jun