List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:June 8 1999 6:21pm
Subject:What is the difference?
View as plain text

Efi> Hi there,
Efi> I downloaded the mySQL 3.22.22.tar.gz and was able to compile and use it
Efi> with Apache 1.3.6/PHP3 3.0.8 on my RedHat 6.0 Kernel 2.2.9. The CPU I am
Efi> using is a Pentium 166Mhz. However, I noticed that there is another source
Efi> which is mysql-3.22.22.pc-linux-gnu-i686.tar.gz. Can somebody kind enough to
Efi> explain to me the difference? As of now the system is running ok. I am only
Efi> wondering if I use the pc-linux-gnu-i686 distribution maybe it would
Efi> increase the performance of my system since it is Pentium CPU running linux
Efi> OS.

Efi> Thank you,

Efi> Efi

Hi!

We compile our binaries with gcc 2.9 from the Cygnus pro toolkit with
a lot of options to make these as fast as possible.  You should got a
little more performance (5-15 %) if you use the MYSQL RPM or the above
binary distribution compared to a version you have compiled yourself.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
What is the difference?Efi Gabriel8 Jun
  • Re: What is the difference?Sasha Pachev8 Jun
  • What is the difference?Michael Widenius8 Jun