List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:June 8 1999 9:40am
Subject:Re: trouble starting w/ mysql.server script...
View as plain text
>>>>> "arnie" == arnie sherman <arnie@stripped> writes:

arnie> Hi Monty,
arnie> Here's a little more info about my problem w/ the mysql.server script...
arnie> thanks for your help.
arnie> arnie

arnie> Michael Widenius wrote:

> [...]
arnie> as root i am able to create, modify, and drop a database.
arnie> my problem is this:
arnie> i can start mySQL as root with: /usr/bin/safe_mysqld &
arnie> and i can shutdown the daemon with: /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p
arnie> shutdown
arnie> however, if i try to start the daemon with:
arnie> /usr/share/mysql/mysql.server  start
arnie> it dies immediatly, with this:
arnie> # /usr/share/mysql/mysql.server   start
arnie> # Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
arnie> mysqld daemon ended
>> Did you do the above as root ?

arnie> Yes, I was root at the time...

>> Did you check the error messages in your 'hostname'.err file.
>> (This is probably in the /var/lib/mysql directory)

arnie> in the .err file i see:

arnie> mysqld started on  Tue Jun 8 01:22:28 MDT 1999
arnie> 990608  1:22:28  getpwnam: No such file or directory
arnie> 990608  1:22:28  Aborting

arnie> mysqld ended on  Tue Jun 8 01:22:28 MDT 1999

arnie> I do see that I have the following files:
arnie> [arnie@frenomulax mysql]$  ls -l /etc/pas*
arnie> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          696 May 12 10:47 /etc/passwd
arnie> -rw-------   1 root     root          758 May  8 04:36 /etc/passwd-
arnie> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          737 May  8 04:36 /etc/passwd~

arnie> /etc/passwd-  has an encrypted password entry for both the root account, and my
arnie> user account

arnie> can anyone give any pointers as to how i can get this to work?
arnie> thanks,

You get the above error if the getpwnam() unix call fails.  MySQL
executes getpwnam() if you try to start mysqld as another user with

The problem is probably that you need to have an executable 'getpwnam'
in your path when you start mysqld.

Edit the PATH at the beginning in mysql.server to include the path to
where 'getpwnam' is.

trouble starting w/ mysql.server script...arnie sherman6 Jun
  • trouble starting w/ mysql.server script...Michael Widenius7 Jun
  • Re: trouble starting w/ mysql.server script...arnie sherman8 Jun
    • Re: trouble starting w/ mysql.server script...Michael Widenius8 Jun
  • Re: trouble starting w/ mysql.server script...arnie sherman10 Jun