List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:June 8 1999 9:40am
Subject:Re: trouble starting w/ mysql.server script...
View as plain text
>>>>> "arnie" == arnie sherman <arnie@stripped> writes:

arnie> Hi Monty,
arnie> Here's a little more info about my problem w/ the mysql.server script...
arnie> thanks for your help.
arnie> arnie

arnie> Michael Widenius wrote:

> [...]
arnie> as root i am able to create, modify, and drop a database.

arnie> my problem is this:
arnie> i can start mySQL as root with: /usr/bin/safe_mysqld &
arnie> and i can shutdown the daemon with: /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p
arnie> shutdown

arnie> however, if i try to start the daemon with:
arnie> /usr/share/mysql/mysql.server  start
arnie> it dies immediatly, with this:

arnie> # /usr/share/mysql/mysql.server   start
arnie> # Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
arnie> mysqld daemon ended

>> Did you do the above as root ?

arnie> Yes, I was root at the time...

>> Did you check the error messages in your 'hostname'.err file.
>> (This is probably in the /var/lib/mysql directory)

arnie> in the .err file i see:

arnie> mysqld started on  Tue Jun 8 01:22:28 MDT 1999
arnie> 990608  1:22:28  getpwnam: No such file or directory
arnie> 990608  1:22:28  Aborting

arnie> mysqld ended on  Tue Jun 8 01:22:28 MDT 1999

arnie> I do see that I have the following files:
arnie> [arnie@frenomulax mysql]$  ls -l /etc/pas*
arnie> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          696 May 12 10:47 /etc/passwd
arnie> -rw-------   1 root     root          758 May  8 04:36 /etc/passwd-
arnie> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          737 May  8 04:36 /etc/passwd~

arnie> /etc/passwd-  has an encrypted password entry for both the root account, and my
arnie> user account

arnie> can anyone give any pointers as to how i can get this to work?
arnie> thanks,

Hi!

You get the above error if the getpwnam() unix call fails.  MySQL
executes getpwnam() if you try to start mysqld as another user with
--user.

The problem is probably that you need to have an executable 'getpwnam'
in your path when you start mysqld.

Fix:

Edit the PATH at the beginning in mysql.server to include the path to
where 'getpwnam' is.

Regards,
Monty

Thread
trouble starting w/ mysql.server script...arnie sherman6 Jun
  • trouble starting w/ mysql.server script...Michael Widenius7 Jun
  • Re: trouble starting w/ mysql.server script...arnie sherman8 Jun
    • Re: trouble starting w/ mysql.server script...Michael Widenius8 Jun
  • Re: trouble starting w/ mysql.server script...arnie sherman10 Jun