List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:June 7 1999 5:22pm
Subject:Granting privileges
View as plain text
>>>>> "Online" == Online Designs <online_designs@stripped> writes:

Online> I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...I've followed the directions from
Online> the manual, but it's still not working.  This is what I get when I try
Online> to grant privileges to a new user:

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO wwstaiwan@localhost
-> IDENTIFIED BY 'password' WITH GRANT OPTION;
Online> ERROR 1064: parse error near '*.* TO wwstaiwan@localhost
Online> IDENTIFIED BY 'password' WITH GRANT OPTION' at line 1

Online> Obviously, I had a different password in there for 'password', but what
Online> am I doing wrong?  I can open mysql using the username above, but if I
Online> put in the password with it, it throws errors:

Online> ccsonlinedesigns: {10} % mysql -u wwstaiwan -p
Online> Enter password: *******
Online> ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'wwstaiwan@localhost' (Using
Online> password: YES)

Hi!

Which MySQL version are you using?  If you are using MySQL 3.21, GRANT
will not work and you must update privileges by updating the grant
tables directly (This is described in the MySQL manual)

Online> Also, I don't seem to be able to successfully install mysql_install_db.
Online> If I try to run it, I get the following error:

Online> ccsonlinedesigns: {8} % /usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db
Online> /usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db: Command not found.

Are you sure you need to run 'mysql_install_db'?  As mysqld is already
up and working, this shouldn't be needed!

Online> I know that that is the correct path for the file, but it does not seem
Online> to be working.

Check the first line of the above file!

You can probably use:

sh /usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Granting privilegesOnline Designs7 Jun
  • Re: Granting privilegesSasha Pachev7 Jun
  • Re: Granting privilegesBlake Binkley7 Jun
  • Granting privilegesMichael Widenius7 Jun