List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gerald Clark Date:August 2 2000 5:00pm
Subject:Re: HELP: Automating mysqlimport
View as plain text
"Charette, Jason" wrote:

> Hello everyone. I've been working on a little project for a few days now,
> and have run into a wall that I just can't seem to get past. Hopefully,
> someone can help me out.
>
> I have a cron job which FTP's some raw data to me on a nightly basis. I want
> to setup another cron job which will automatically import that data into a
> mysql table. Now the script I have written appears to work, but the problem
> I run into is that mysqlimport inevitably prompts me for a password before
> importing the data. Does anyone know of a way to feed the password to
> mysqlimport? Something like a .netrc file, perhaps? I would hate to create a
> new user with no password to import the data - that hardly seems secure at
> all... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jason Charette
> Email jason.charette@stripped

You can put user and password entries for [client] in the .my.cnf file in the home
directory of the user
doing the processing.
Since this file will be mode 600, nobody else will be able to read it.

EX:
[client]
user=updater
password=whatever

Thread
HELP: Automating mysqlimportJason Charette2 Aug
  • Re: HELP: Automating mysqlimportChristopher R. Jones2 Aug
  • Re: HELP: Automating mysqlimportGerald Clark2 Aug
  • Re: HELP: Automating mysqlimportJohn Firebaugh2 Aug