List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Bill Koob Date:March 18 1999 3:15am
Subject:ODBC installation and use
View as plain text
I am running on a local win95 machine not connect to a network until
I go on the internet.

Server version 3.21.29a-gamma-debug prot
ver 10 is the mysql ver

The odbc driver is 2.50 ver?? that works for 95 & Nt.
You have to change some file when you finish installing
in NT as I understand it.

I know I am suppose to find and use some program called dump???? but
I've already have too much time in this non pay / no compensated
quest to stop a complete take over by the evil M****S***.

MY COMMENTS ARE TO THE LEFT OF THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Per the instructons I was able to find.
         ODBC with mySQL
         NOTE:  You must have a mySQL database table or
         tables set up in order to access the database.
RESULT
                       Requirements: Windows 95 or NT 4.0
OK          1. Download the ODBC Download myodbc 2.50.xx for
               Windows95 or NT from here.
Ok          2. Unzip the file into a temp directory and run
               program "setup.exe"
Ok          3. From the "Install Drivers" window, choose
               MySQL.
Ok          4. After installing the MySQL ODBC driver, the
               install program will show the "Data Sources"
               window. Click "Add."
                 Note: On Windows NT 4.0, you'll get a message saying
                "This application uses the old version of
                 CTL3D32.DLL..." Just ignore
                 it for the moment.

Ok           5. From the "Add Data Source" Window choose MySQL
                from the list box and click the OK button.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
HERES WHERE THE PROBLEM BEGINS.
             6. Fill out the fields in the DSN setup window.
                A. You can use any unique identifier for the
                    Windows DNS name and description
ANY MEANS WHATEVER I ENTER  I enter "MYSQL"
                B. Enter the name of the "mySQL Database"*
I have a database called test at c:\mysql\data\test
                         I enter test
                C. Enter the server name*
I entered 171.0.0.1 as it was the workaround to running the thing on a
local machine and not a network I have a file called hosts in the
c:\win95 directory with "127.0.0.1 localhost" in it.
                D. Enter the "user"*
koob (previously entered whenever a password was required)
                E. Enter your password for "password"*
bill (previously entered when ever a password was required)
                F. Enter the port number*
left blank as default will be entered per some read doc.
                G. Click on OK.
"it states install is successful."

                *Get these values from your server administrator or
                 provider technical support.
                 This will setup a MySQL DSN on your local PC.

         You may start using the MySQL Data Source in your PC
                   programs.

            How to set up MS Access 97 to access your mySQL
   COMMENTS            database via ODBC

       ok                1. Open MS Access and create a new database.
       ok                2. From the file menu, choose File and then Get
                            External Data and then Link Tables.
       ok                3. From "Link" window that comes up, choose ODBC
                            Databases.
Here I get the same      4. From the "Select Data Source" Window, choose
menu I got when I           the DSN name you've setup for your online mySQL
installed the odbc          database. If you haven't already done so, see
driver                      instructions here. Click the OK button.
I select a the db        5. From the "Link Tables" window, select the table
called test in              you want to attach and click the OK button.
c:\mysql\data\test       6. ODBC could prompt you for the primary key
Microsoft insists I         column in that table, if it can't find it.
use a different dir.        Specify one and that's it! The online mySQL
(basically it fails         table is now attached to your local access
here)                       database:
                         7. You may open the table, update, inset or delete
                            records. To attach all database tables, follow
                            the above steps for each table in your
                            database.
FOLLOWING THE ABOVE SEVEN STEPS USING THE SAME DATA AS IN THE ODBC
INSTALLATION LEADS ME TO A DEAD END - where after entering all the same
data as entered in the installation in the same installation type window
it just goes away.  I think it has something to do with the server name
unless i'm suppose to enter "mysql" there.

The only other thing I can think of is I do not have a datetime in
my table - that surely wouldn't cause it to fail without use of the
table would it?

Have a great Hunt
wkoob@stripped
WetDog owned by Wet Dogs
http://www1.minn.net/~wkoob/
My personality is something like this
Mit der dumheit nicht gotter selbst vergeben.

Thread
ODBC installation and useBill Koob18 Mar
  • Re: ODBC installation and useChristian Mack18 Mar