List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:June 4 1999 8:44pm
Subject:Re: move db to another disk
View as plain text
At 3:28 PM -0500 6/4/99, DongYu Wang wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am running mySQL3.21 under Linux RH5.2
>
>I just added another hard disk to the system and want to move my MySQL
>database files to the newly added hard disk.
>
>Could anybody tell me how to do that.

Do you want to move one database, or the entire MySQL data directory?
Assuming the latter, you can do it at least three ways.  Bring the server
down before you do any of them, though.  Then copy the data directory to
the new file system, remove the original, and do one of these things:

1) Recreate the original data directory location as a symlink to the
new location.  For example: ln -s /path/to/new/location /usr/local/var
2) Specify --datadir=/path/to/new/location on the command line when you
start the server.
3) Put the following in /etc/my.cnf:

[mysqld]
datadir=/path/to/new/location

>I checked the system and could not find my.cnf file.

If your system-wide my.cnf doesn't exist, it's just because you never
created one.  You can create it yourself.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
move db to another diskDongYu Wang5 Jun