List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:June 4 1999 5:05pm
Subject:Re: Multiple Database Performance
View as plain text
Eric Savage wrote:

> We are updating our messaging system, and I had a question.  In order to
> speed lookups, we are thinking of limiting tables sizes, say having 1000
> users per table.  It would be easiest if we built indentically structured
> databases, so the querys can use the same syntax and table names.  We
> would then have 1000 users per database, and one master database with
> routing information. Is there any performance hit when running say 1000
> databases?  I don't think there would be, but I couldnt find a solid
> answer anywhere.
>
> Eric Savage
> esavage@stripped

There is an overhead, of course, but my guess is that it
is not going to be very big in your situation ( this is
just a guess, though). The final answer will depend on
the types of queries you will be running. One advantage
to table/database fragmentagtion is that you will not
have to worry about reaching the maximum table size
limit.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)