List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:June 4 1999 11:50am
Subject:Re: update & timestamp - bug or feature?
View as plain text
>>>>> "Davor" == Davor Cengija <davor@stripped> writes:

Davor> On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Paul DuBois wrote:
>> At 3:00 PM -0500 6/3/99, Davor Cengija wrote:

>>> update my_table set some_value = 'other word' where id = .whatever.;
>>>
>>> causes the some_value to change, of course, AND ts (timestamp
>>> column) is updated as well, so it has the time when the row
>>> was updated, not inserted (what i'd expect).
>>>
>>> so, is it a bug od feature?
>>
>> Well, what you're observing is how it's documented to work, so I guess
>> I'd say "feature".
>>

>>> to avoid this problem, i'm using
>>>
>>> update my_table set some_value = 'other word', ts = ts where id =
> .whatever.;
>>>
>>> as mentioned in the manual under Update.
>>

>> Now you know why it says that in the manual. :-)

Davor>        hehehe... put it in the manual and it becomes a feature:-)

Davor>        however, i wrote the previous mail considering that 'feature'
Davor>        a little bit 'wrong', and therefore considering it 'buggy'...

Davor>        i'd like to hear from developers, is it made so by purpose
Davor>        (changing the timestamp field while updating) and if yes, why?
Davor>        'cos i don't see the much sense in it.

The whole purpose of the timestamp column type in MySQL is that it changes
automaticly when the row is updated;  If you don't want this, use datetime
instead!

Regards,
Monty
Thread
update & timestamp - bug or feature?Davor Cengija4 Jun
  • Re: update & timestamp - bug or feature?Paul DuBois4 Jun
    • Re: update & timestamp - bug or feature?Davor Cengija4 Jun
      • Re: update & timestamp - bug or feature?Michael Widenius4 Jun
      • Re: update & timestamp - bug or feature?Paul DuBois4 Jun