List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Douglas Brantz Date:July 24 2000 3:31am
Subject:Re: NOOOO
View as plain text
You should be able to keep your httpd up and running the entire time without
having to stop it for mysql.
So, first get that going again if you havn't already.

My httpd is located in /usr/sbin - so cd /usr/sbin
now give the ./httpd restart  and your web service should be up and running
again.

Mysql stuff --------

Now,  if you need to shut down the mysql server by either killing the process.
ps ax  will show a list of processes and then type kill and the process number
of mysql.

or you can issue the mysqladmin shutdown command if it lets you.

Shut down the server (you may need to use 'kill -KILL $PID').  Start
it up using the -Sg (skip grant tables) option.  Change your password.
Shut down the server again, and start it normally.

to change the password type mysql mysql at the prompt with no host username or
password
because you shouldn't need them.

At the mysql prompt type describe user - this should describe your user table.
then alter what you need.  ex. update user set Password("newpassword") where
User="username";
"username" could be root or what ever user you need to change the password on.

Then exit mysql with exit;  and reload the permissions table with mysqladmin
reload  or you might
have to restart mysql all together?  I'm new at this too.  You could try
mysqladmin restart ?
but anytime you change the mysql permissions table you need to issue the
mysqladmin reload to update the permissions.

Hope all this works - let me know.  Sorry I took so long to get back to you but
I was went to see
Arlo Guthrie and just got back - great story teller and singer.

Douglas

Daren Cotter wrote:

> This isn't working folks...
>
> I killed mysql and httpd. When I restart mysql using
> (mysqld --skip-grant-tables) it runs under the "root" user instead of
> mysql...dunno if that matters or not. Anway, I issue the following command:
>
> mysqladmin -h localhost -u root password 'my_pass';
>
> And I get:
>
> mysqladmin: unable to change password; error: 'You must have privileges to
> update tables in the mysql database to be able to change passwords for
> others'
>
> I'm very desperate to resolve this as my website is down at this
> moment...please help!

Thread
NOOOODaren Cotter24 Jul
  • Re: NOOOOJeremy D. Zawodny24 Jul
    • getting random resultsDavid Diaz i Torrico24 Jul
  • Re: NOOOOPaul DuBois24 Jul
  • Re: NOOOODouglas Brantz24 Jul
Re: NOOOOPaul DuBois24 Jul