List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:July 20 2000 3:18pm
Subject:Re: Remote access from a little box of tricks
View as plain text
[ format manually recovered - alex, your mailer really mangles quoted text ]

In the last episode (Jul 20), alex hopson said:
> From: <sinisa@stripped>
> >alex hopson writes:
> > > It is possible to format data the data sent from the box in any
> > > way. I was thinking maybe I could emulate what the ODBC would
> > > send if I was using outlook. I really need a solution that
> > > doesn't require any more protocols that tcp/ip.
>
> The problem we have is that the actual box will have a small
> (approx16k) chip that we'll program to do the communicating. We could
> get it to send text or something simple. I'm afraid that I'm not
> entirely sure what the native interface is either, if you could
> explain that a bit I would be grateful. Thanks

The native mysql interface is a binary protocol that I doubt you'd be
able to fit easily in 16k.  You'd probably be better off writing a
small daemon to run on the same machine as the mysql server, that
listens for plaintext input on another TCP port, then talks to mysql
itself.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped