List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:June 3 1999 3:44am
Subject:Re: Export/import
View as plain text

Christian> Peter Hicks wrote:

>> Folks,
>>
>> I've tried in vain to get a simple, straightforward, command or script
>> to dump the contents (data, and table structures) from a MySQL
>> database on one server, to a text file, and then to re-create the
>> database on another sever.
>>
>> Using mysql_dump and mysqlimport doesn't seem to work reliably -
>> mysql_dump doesn't appear to escape all special characters, so I
>> get a whole host of errors when importing.
>>
>> Can someone point me in the direction of a script to do this?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Peter.

Christian> Hi Peter

Christian> mysqldump does escape all special characters, but a tab is not considered a
> special character. As mysqlimport per default uses tab delimited columns you can have
> problems on reading strings (not only BLOB's) with tabs inside.

Hi!

If you use mysqldump with --tab, tab characters should be escaped by
the the MySQL server.  If you don't use --tab, then tabs shouldn't
need to be escaped.

Can either of you send me a complete test that doesn't work?

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Export/importPeter Hicks1 Jun
  • Re: Export/importChristian Mack1 Jun
    • Re: Export/importMichael Widenius3 Jun
  • Re: Export/importChristian Mack4 Jun
    • Re: Export/importMichael Widenius5 Jun