List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Lindberg Date:March 17 1999 6:20pm
Subject:Re: MySQL + sendmail
View as plain text
On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:56:06 +0200 (EET), Vladas Lapinskas wrote:

>	I'm going to develop a web-based email system. The user
>information will be in MySQL database. The question: how to make sendmail
>to check if user exists in MySQL table? Have already somebody solved this
>problem? Is there a patch for sendmail to authentificate against external
>SQL database? May be other MTA, but sendmail if preferable.

Use qmail (http://www.qmail.org). There are patches and hooks for e.g.
MySQL lookups.

I'm not quite sure what you want to do, though. qmail takes the
approach of accepting all mail for local addresses, then bouncing mail
that doesn't resolve to a local mailbox. This has some disadvantages,
but many advantages (efficiency and user-extensible addresses to
mention two).

vmailmgr is a program by Bruce Guenter (linked from qmail home page).
It uses a virtual domain and qmail to implement a multi-user pop-only
mail system. He is working on scalability in the 100,000 to 1,000,000
user range and considering a generalized back-end db interface
including MySQL. This seems very similar to your application, except
for the front end (CGI vs pop3d).

I would use this in combination with an very good Web mailer
(http://www.inter7.com/sqwebmail/). You could set the whole thing up in
a day and wait on Bruce to do the MySQL stuff or you could contribute
to that part of the development.

Even if you go your own way, all mail to the qmail virtual domain gets
delivered via ~virtuser/.qmail-default. You'd just put a program here
authenticating RECIPIENT (LOCAL@HOST), exiting 100 to bounce, or
delivering and exiting 0. Maildirs (one file per message) is definitely
the way to go, especially if you want to scale up with several servers
and an NFS backend later.

-Sincerely, Fred

MySQL + sendmailVladas Lapinskas17 Mar
  • Re: MySQL + sendmailSarel Lugtenburg18 Mar
Re: MySQL + sendmailEd Carp17 Mar
  • Re: MySQL + sendmailJim Faucette17 Mar
Re: MySQL + sendmailFred Lindberg17 Mar
  • Re: MySQL + sendmailMike Little18 Mar