List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:June 2 1999 5:10pm
Subject:Re: MySQL performance
View as plain text
Ritschie wrote:

> HI!
>
> I think you are right, I have forgotten the text of the erroe messages..
>
> Every error message consisted of:
>
> Mysql: couldn't make connection to database server..
>
> Or something like that.
> It was weeks ago so i don't remember exactly on what site I have
> experienced this problem, but I don't think it is neccessary..
>
> So the question is alive:
>
> can this error message be created not because of Mysql?
>
> Ritschie
>
> http://ludens.elte.hu/~krichard
> On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Michael Widenius wrote:
>

> > Hi!

> <krichard@stripped> writes:
> >
> > Ritschie> Hi,
> > Ritschie> I have visited some mysql based sites, and I have encountered some
> > Ritschie> problems, namely I have recived lotsa error messages.
> > Ritschie> Everytime I clicked ion a link which pointed out to a MySQL
> database
> > Ritschie> query, the connection to the databse was opened and closed after
> > Ritschie> proceeding.
> >
> > This depends of what CGI interface you are using and if you are using
> > persinsten connectiosn or not.
> >
> > Ritschie> This way the web-based SQL-query will be (and in fact is) very
> slow, and
> > Ritschie> full of error messages.
> >
> > This is not necessary the case;  Normally it takes only a fraction of
> > the time to open and close a new connection compared to start a CGI in
> > for example perl.
> >
> > Ritschie> Is it possible to get better performance, or a better question:
> > Ritschie> How many connections is mysql able to handle at the same time?
> >
> > You can set up MySQL to handle as many connections as your OS can
> > handle (Each connection will use a couple of file descriptors + about
> > 80 K in the server)
> >
> > Ritschie> Must it have many connections open to refuse the new connections?
> >
> > No.
> >

> > Ritschie> Ritschie
> >
> > The problem is that you haven't provided any information of what was
> > wrong with the web sites you tested;  Its even very likely that the
> > problem you experienced had nothing to do with MySQL!
> > For example opening new connections shouldn't give you any more error
> > messages than using persistent connections!
> >
> > You can find information how to do a correct bug report at:
> >
> > http://www.tcx.se/Manual_chapter/manual_Questions.html#Asking_questions
> >
> > PLEASE read the above before reposting your question, this will save us all
> > a lot of time!
> > Yours,
> > Monty
> >
> > *************** Warning commercial signature follows **********
> > If you like TCX's concept of a 'mostly free' database and free
> > advice, you should at least CONSIDER supporting us that we can
> > afford to keep this service up.   http://www.tcx.se/

There are many issues involved in making a connection to
MySQL. There could be tons of reasons, related or
unrelated to MySQL why a certain application could not
make a connection. Unless you have access to that
server, and can produce a report on its setup with
mysqlbug, there is no point in speculating why a certain
server that was configured by someone you do not know is
refusing connections.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)