List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:July 12 2000 8:56pm
Subject:Re: Timestamp problem between MS Access and MySQL
View as plain text
In the last episode (Jul 12), Ed Earle said:
> Well I guess no one is interested in this problem. However, I've noticed
> that sometimes you have to ask the question several times before you get
> an answer. I am using MYODBC version 2.50.29.0.

> .:The problem is MS Access clobbers the timestamp field every time a
> .:record is updated via MS Access.  It doesn't matter that existing
> .:timestamp field has a date filled in. We don't want to change the
> .:field to a datetime type field.

.. but that's exactly what a timestemp field is supposed to do!  See
the manual, under the section "The `DATETIME', `DATE' and `TIMESTAMP'
types":

  The `TIMESTAMP' column type provides a type that you can use to
  automatically mark `INSERT' or `UPDATE' operations with the current
  date and time.

Basically it's a "last-modified" type.  If you just want to store a
time, use DATETIME.  If you want to store a "created" time, use
DATETIME and set the field to now() when you insert the record.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped