List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:March 11 1999 8:46pm
Subject:Re: sort of defragmentation?
View as plain text
>> You mean "cascading updates and deletes", don't you?  Triggers and
foreign
>> keys have little to do with whether or not deletes and updates cascade.
>
>Thanks for the correction. What I meant to say is "Since
>mysql is does not support any kind of data integrity
>validation and an update will never modify the table
>that is not explicitly mentioned in the query...."

You know, it would really be cool to support such a thing ... but as far as
I can tell, MySQL doesn't have the infrastructure to support such a thing -
it would need to know the relationships between tables.

You know, thinking about it, it wouldn't be a big deal to add a
relationships table to each database - it would contain the source table,
target table, source field, and target field:

create table relationships (
source_table varchar(255),
source_field varchar(255),
target_table varchar(255),
target_field varchar(255));

When MySQL gets a "DELETE/UPDATE" SQL command, it looks through the
relationships table and spawns threads to do the cascade delete/update.  Am
I making any sense?

Thread
sort of defragmentation?Mike Otto11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?kalle volkov11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?Christian Mack11 Mar
    • Re: sort of defragmentation?Charles Kirby11 Mar
      • Re: sort of defragmentation?Sasha Pachev11 Mar
        • Re: sort of defragmentation?Charles Kirby11 Mar
          • Re: sort of defragmentation?Sasha Pachev11 Mar
            • Re: sort of defragmentation?Charles Kirby11 Mar
              • Splitting query results among machines?Brian Bray11 Mar
                • RE: Splitting query results among machines?Brett Error11 Mar
  • SIGSEV using Mysql++Sander Pilon26 Aug
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?Sasha Pachev11 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?Christian Mack12 Mar
Re: Splitting query results among machines?Fred Lindberg11 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp12 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Christian Mack13 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp13 Mar