List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Vivek Khera Date:June 1 1999 2:12pm
Subject:Re: Performance
View as plain text

>> Another thing, good table design can save you a lot of disk space and
>> will speed up your queries. Normalize your tables, replace chars with
>> ints whenever possible, index your tables well.

TRR> I have a database which contains a field with comma separated
TRR> integers in a very long list. I can't use ints here obviously,
TRR> but it has been bugging me for quite a while because I know
TRR> there's got to be a better way of storing this info. I want to
TRR> associate all of these values with the key. Any suggestions?

If you're storing a list in this manner, your database is not
normalized enough.  Get your self a good book on database theory and
see what they have to say about it.

Basically, you want to represent any kind of list as a series of
tuples of the form (key,value).  You will want to pull that field out
of your current table, and make it into its own table with just those
two fields.

Internet: khera@stripped       Rockville, MD       +1-301-545-6996
PGP & MIME spoken here            http://www.kciLink.com/home/khera/
Thread